Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Period 1 - Semester Final

Guess what? This is my final for Digital Photography so you can have a taste of what I learned this year.

     Starting off, from this Lens of the day post, my favorite picture would be the seventh picture of the contrasting lights and colors because the picture has a lot of depth and contrast between the lanterns and the man. In this picture, the light is excellent, showing a sense of a surreal world the man is in. It also allows the viewers to also imagine of this kind of world as they try to decipher what the lights are. 
    Also the best picture of that link is the fourth one because the picture captures the emotion the Palestinians were feeling after a bombing has occurred.  In this picture you see the dense smoke and rubble on the left, creating a veil of mystery of what's about to happen. I believe this is the best picture of the nine because it is well framed and has excellent exposure of the people's emotions.

    Out of all of my work this year, my best picture would be  Master Photography-Gordon Parks one. I like the first picture of me holding the "We live in a G.P.A. state" picture because it shows the amount of depth and emotion, similar to the "We live in a Police State" picture taken by Gordon Parks. Also I like the framing of the background of my previous report cards because it adds more meaning to the overall emotion of the picture. I spent of a lot time on this particular photo and I am proud of it. And you can see it right here.
   If I have more time on this picture, I would position myself in a way that is symmetrical with background and hold the sign more straight. In addition, I would try to avoid the glare on the sign that is coming off from the camera.


    In the beginning of the year, I chose three rules of composition: 
1. Rule of Thirds
2. Depth of Field
3. A clear background that doesn't distract attention from the subject 

A picture of my own describes these rules would be from ATPI Contest. More clearly it is this picture (the first one). 

 This one shows Rule of Thirds given by the symetry of the tower and pond. Also the background does not distract the attention from the subject but enhances it instead. As far as depth of field, this picture, it shows it by letting the eye wander off into the distance behind the tower.

     Since the beginning of the year, my teacher, Mr. Farley, have been telling everyone his main rule of composition: Get Closer. He said that to be a good photographer and to take good pictures, you have to get closer and be comfortable with the subject too. Without this rule, no one can take a great picture.

    Now for groups, the main advantages would be support from them. They can help position the picture, give constructive criticism, teaching fun and necessary skills like Photoshop, give creative ideas to build on, and make me smile. Working in groups is a necessary life skill and it helps build one's confidence too. The disadvantages of working in a group is when the group as a whole don't want to work and instead focus on other topics. This distracts me and place more pressure on ourselves as the deadline approaches. Also another few disadvantages would be that the people in the group work by themselves, do homework, or don't care about the task that's at hand. The internet can be used as a place of distraction and allows us to work individually because it's easier to use the computer than to talk to someone.

     One of my favorite pictures is Jessica Kam's Inspired by a Master Photographer- Eugene Smith. I like the last one of Sharon, Michael, Allen, and Anish all position but only Michael has a goofy face. This picture shows depth of field and a feeling of happiness and humor. In addition, it makes me smile when I see it.

A Little History
      Gordon Parks is the Master Photographer my group chose for the project. One of his main contribution is helping the Brazilian poor boy named Fabio by photographing him and showing the poverty in Brazil. What Gordon Parks did was make a close connection with his subject (Fabio) and this is essential for taking a good picture and part of "Get Closer" rule. Gordon Parks also contribute sense of segregation feelings of the Jim Crow Laws of the south to the field of photography, showing how powerful photography is.
  
       Dorothea Lange's most popular picture is Migrant Mother taken in February or March of 1936 in Nipomo, California. She was employed by the Farm Security Administration to raise awareness of the suffering the migrant workers from the Dust Bowl to the public.
       
      Around that time on 1936, Life magazine also began publishing and became one of the wide-read magazine across America.

     Earlier, the "King of Rock" Elvis Presley was born on January 8, 1935. He became a major influence in music and is often referred from the character Jesse Katsoplois in the show Full House.
     
     A decade later, Robert Capa found Magnum magazine for all photographer in 1947 and this was revolutionary because Magnum allow the photographers to have copyright of their pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment