Saturday, September 26, 2020

Liberation is Free Indeed

 Hello everyone! 

I want to share with you all a very cool book written by a friend Nikole Lim called Liberation is HereHer book talks about her stories as a freelance filmmaker intertwining with the stories of some brilliant women who are sexual assault survivors in Kenya and Zambia. Inspired by their stories, Nikole co-founded Freely in Hope, "a nonprofit organization seeking to restore dignity to survivors of sexual violence by providing educational opportunities and platforms for women to fulfill their dreams." 

Book order: 

https://www.ivpress.com/liberation-is-here

Book launch party:

https://www.freelyinhope.org/events/launchparty/

Freely in Hope: 

https://www.freelyinhope.org


Cover taken by Nikole Lim


I first met her and a scholar from Freely in Hope in my church Christian Layman Church, and I was struck by how God's presence is very powerful through the two women. So, when I saw that Nikole was writing a book about it on Inter varsity Press, I quickly ordered it in May and was so eager to receive it in August. Granted, I only read the first chapter and wanted to write down so many ideas flowing in my head only to move to my new place for work. I'm hoping that as I catch up on work, I can take the time to read the book and share my thoughts down here. 


Chapter 1 

8/15-9/19

I actually re-read it, since when I first got the book back in August 13. I just graduated from UC Berkeley and I wanted to relax and enjoy a good book. When the lightning storms were coming in that night, I was reading the book in my family's storage room. Man the first chapter had a lot packed in. The chapter title, "She Reminds Me of You" resonated with a lot of my conviction to help people who may be in similar situations as me if we swapped places, similar to what the author Nikole Lim had felt from her dear grandfather. I enjoyed reading about her upbringing and her thoughts as a young Asian American women growing up in the Bay Area as well her passion to tell stories and photography. I can definitely relate to her, and it's funny how I'm currently in the city she grew up in for my new job. 

Chapter 2

8/15-9/19

I read it right after chapter 1 and I'm revisiting it with admiration. It opens up about Nekesa and her story situated in Kenya and how it later intertwined with Nikole's. I have to admit even though it's been a month since I last read it, I still remember some of the details in the chapter and could felt a glimpse of the feelings during Nekesa's stories; and those feelings still leave me feeling in awe of her. I don't wanna spoil everything since a summary can't do justice to her story nor was this blog meant to be a summary of the book. But let's just say, it gives me hope; hpe that despite the world we live in is not just,  it can be just through Jesus. 

Chapter 3-13

8/20

I feel like I can't put this book down once I picked it up again.

There are moments in the book in which I felt the raw emotions, especially when I share the "cinematic imagination" mentioned in one of the chapters. Reading Nikole's and the scholars' stories made a conviction in me to seriously consider of Christian medical missionary or at least a career focused on global public health. I know it seems weird to add that in, but there are turning points mentioned in these chapters that me admire these brilliant women despite all the difficulties that they have to face. There seems to be an assumption or pressure to not showcase the difficulties in order to keep the "strong, independent women" image when in reality, we are all struggling at times. I feel that struggle and I bet many people do too. And the book displays the struggle incredibly, vividly well while entwining God's grace and His gospel among the women's lives. I think I can demonstrate a little bit by sharing some of my favorite quotes from the book so far:

"I am no longer a victim, but a survivor." She continued with Hope on her lap, "My dream is to help other girls see this within themselves- that's why I want to study social work. I want to help survivors know that they are no longer victims too. I want them to see me and say, 'If she can make it, then I can also make it." Her eyes welled up. (pg 52)

"Telling your story is the first step to healing," she concluded (pg 64)

"It seems the work of justice cannot be fulfilled in the absence of suffering." (pg 103)

She said, "Do you know what stopped me from taking my life? After I cut myself, I realized that my blood was the blood of Jesus. Because he loves me, I need to love myself and others. I'll see you when we finally meet with God one day." (pg 45)

"My dream is to be doctor so that I can be an example to other girls and show them that women can be influential and save lives. We don't have to stay at home to serve men--- we can be outstanding in any occupation we choose" (pg 59)

"It seems that unfair things in our lives pave the way for good things to come. We must stay strong, persevering as we wait for it. Without faith, there is so much in this world to fear. In fear, there is no joy in living. Joy is what keeps me going. I don't have to be uptight, life is too short not to laugh" (pg 108)

Chapter 14-19

8/20-8/24

The ending kindled and stoke the flames of hope within men as I hope the same for you.

I think overall the last couple of chapters show how much the women have grown as well how sexual assaults and trafficking are internationally involved. It also showed me how to handle with anger towards unjust actions and transform it through healing and justice, rather than lashing out and hurting others. Overall, it's a wonderful book and I really recommend it. I want to share a couple of my favorite quotes once one more time.

"I now know why why you were so angry as a child. You knew that all was not well with the world, but you didn't now how to respond. And so you would react in tantrums and yelling, fighting and screaming. but somehow, you've been able to channel your anger towards something meaningful-towards justice" (pg 133)

"Mom, just love me. You've taught me  everything I need to know. I have to fight this one on my own" (pg 132)

"Don't give up on me. Even beautiful things can break if they're overused and mistreated. I break a lot, but I am strong. I know my purpose. That is what keeps me going. This hope is the water, the bond that keeps rejoining the broke but beautiful pieces of me." (pg 156)


If you have read the book, please do let me know what you think. Also feel encouraged to donate to their organization to support them. 

Book order: 

https://www.ivpress.com/liberation-is-here

Book launch party:

https://www.freelyinhope.org/events/launchparty/

Freely in Hope: 

https://www.freelyinhope.org

No comments:

Post a Comment