Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Final Exam


            This picture helped changed my view of photography because it helped me realized that photography is not only for fun but also to raise awareness of an important issue. "We live in a G.P.A. State" was inspired by Gordon Parks's "We live in a Police State" picture during the Civil Rights Movement and the way the picture was position is amazing. Then I learned that the way the background is set up can helped emphasizes the subject and completes the meaning of the photograph. While I was setting up the background with my previous report cards, I then realized I was making a statement that we students are not defined by mere numbers but by who we are as individuals. After I took the picture numerous times, I gained experience of what a professional photographer does and learned that photography is not just full of silly pictures taken with a phone but a medium used to spread the news. Last month, I showed the print out of this image to my friends and I feels that the image reminds them that they are not labeled by our grades and that the mindset at MSJHS is quite dangerous when people value grades above their personal necessities.

              The difference between shape and form is that shape is two-dimensional with only width and length while form is three-dimensional. Shape can be geometric like the circles, squares, rectangles and triangles on a design of a building. It could also be natural like the shape of a meandering creek or the swirl of white cream in a coffee cup. However for form, there are width, height and length that all expresses depth in the art work. Form gives more perspective than shape and consists of geometric 3-D shapes like spheres, boxes, cylinders, and pyramids.

               The difference between pattern and repetition is that pattern is when the object or symbol is only repeated throughout the art work and repetition uses pattern to animated the art work and create a sense of unity. Pattern is the repeating of an object with or without guided direction, while repetition shows repetitively the object in certain way that brings the art work to life and interacts with the viewer.


              Movement helps guides the viewer throughout the artwork towards a certain area with the use of lines, shape, colors and symmetry. This image of the sunset after a rainy day has leading lines and diffused colors that direct the viewer's eyes toward the center of the sky. The way the image is positioned and captured draws in the viewer as the eye moves from the sidewalk up to the bright sky full of soft red-orange-golden yellow light.

For more information on Movement, you may go this my blog post Principles of Design -Movement (Buildings)

               Of the three projects I have done, my most favorite is the Succulent project because I get to learn more about these amazing plants and take pictures of them. I took most of the images outside in the shade where the light exposure was just right. I also took them in the grass to emphasize the succulents and make the images look more natural. What also made this project special is that I researched the properties of the plant like their uses and characteristics along with a synopsis of aloe medical uses and how CAM plant conduct photosynthesis. This project is one of my best work because the images are clear, crisp and full of color and shape and there are fun information included.

                This project helped me see how nature is symmetric and geometric especially in plants. The way the leaves are arranged are special but ordered and I enjoyed positioning the succulents in a certain way especially for the Zebra Haworthia one. The project also aid me to appreciate nature more and that the camera can change the viewer's perspective. Most people would glance over the real succulent, but later would take another look when they realize there's another view of them that is amazing, And photography do help change perspectives by providing another view of the same subject. That what makes photography so powerful and fun.

 Thank you for reading this blog post and Good luck for college, high school, work. etc! Have a great summer! And I'll continue to post more pictures, so don't worry.

No comments:

Post a Comment